> (as I had no changes in my checkout, I just pulled the branches from remote
> replacing the local one)

I don't know what you did, but it it wasn't pulling ;) Here is a bit
of git parlance overview:

- You "fetch" new commits and reference updates (git fetch origin).
- A "pull" is basically fetch + merge remote tracking branch.

If you did in fact pull then you should see diverged history (your
local branch reference and the remote it's tracking wouldn't be on the
same commit). Something like this:

$ git status

# On branch master
# Your branch and 'origin/master' have diverged,
# and have 3 and 9 different commits each, respectively.
#   (use "git pull" to merge the remote branch into yours)

Perhaps what you did was you "reset" the local branch (reference) to
the updated remote? If you didn't (and you know you didn't have any
commits) you should reset it:

git fetch origin
git checkout master
git reset --hard origin/master
git checkout branch_5x
git reset --hard origin/branch_5x

This ensures your local branch references are pointing at the latest
commits on their remote counterparts.

Dawid