Why is this a problem?

It records the fact that you had pull'd and had to merge your changes
with what "came in" from master from other devs.

Such historical accuracy, while looking "dirty" to some devs, is
nevertheless accurate to what actually transpired, and can therefore
be useful to future devs digging through the history.

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com