Anyone can participate in Lucene/Solr!  You don't need to be GSoC
student to do so...

Browse the issues in Jira (maybe focusing on the ones marked for GSoC
and not already "taken"), or open your own issues, discuss, post
patches, iterate, etc.

Find your itch and scratch it ;)

And there are a great many itches out there that need scratching...

Mike

http://blog.mikemccandless.com