I see it more of a performance tweak than a relevance thing. matches on
stopwords introduce the potential for many more documents to be scored.

Large collections usually should have a high min-should-match, so more than
likely queries with at least one or two non-stopwords that dramatically
limit the docs that will be scored. And since large collections are where
people have stopwords perf problems, this tends to obviate the performance
gains of removing stopwords.