Some historic context: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-5143

Keep in mind that things like the solr ref guide and pylucene releases
don't do "per-release" KEY files, so completley eliminating those URLs
would require a change to those process.

on the flip side: see Uwe's comment in that Jira questioning the rationale
of snapshoting the KEY files per-release anyway, instead of just always
using a continuously growing, automatically updated, KEYS file using LDAP
as the source of truth.

I personally have no opinion, but agree the current situation is
confusing.