Christine,

Wow, that's fantastic. You can also pass a --grep argument to git directly.

Another problem that just occurred to me though, is that we might need to
make updates to CHANGES files too. I'm not sure how to automate the check
for that, since the format can be pretty messy.

Mike

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 8:39 AM, Christine Poerschke (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON) <
cpoersc...@bloomberg.net> wrote:

> [...]
> retrospectively really really tedious to resolve 6.x to the correct
> 6.something tag.
>
> === "to not 6.x" tag ===
>
> An alternative is always tag to a specific (future) version i.e. to _not_
> 6.x tag anything and to let the released/unreleased categorisation take
> care of the already-released vs. scheduled-to-be-released difference.
>
> === where we are now ===
>
> There are still some tickets tagged to 6.x and people looking at the
> version dropdown choices will see 6.x as an existing choice. If/When no
> tickets are tagged to 6.x anymore then the 6.x choice could be removed from
> the dropdown choices leaving only specific versions to choose from.
>
> Having said all that, turning existing 6.x tagging into specific versions
> is tedious but not totally impossible, I did a few yesterday using simple
> git grep lookups:
>
> what=LUCENE-NNNN
> for version in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 ; do
> echo branch_6_$version
> git log --decorate --oneline --graph origin/branch_6_$version | grep $what
> done
>
> Hope that helps? What do people think?
>
> Christine
>
> From: dev@lucene.apache.org At: 05/25/17 14:08:37
> To: dev@lucene.apache.org, dawid.we...@gmail.com, jpou...@apache.org,
> luc...@mikemccandless.com, kwri...@apache.org, u...@thetaphi.de
> Subject: Re: Strange Solr JIRA versions (Lucene too!)
>
> Lucene devs, lets get on the same page about this issue.
>
> Dawid seems to _want_ to use 6.x
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-7841?
> focusedCommentId=16024639&page=com.atlassian.jira.
> plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-16024639
> Christine and I are the only ones to have commented about this pertaining
> to LUCENE JIRA issues.  Lets have this conversation here, not on
> LUCENE-7841.
>
> ~ David
>
> On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 1:28 AM David Smiley <david.w.smi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Aha; this problem is a little more than a nuisance... it seems to be why
>> most of these issues are marked Resolved and not Closed as well.  The RM's
>> release process is to search for JIRA issues with a fix version of the
>> release version (i.e. 6.6 NOT 6.x).  Issues that do not have a real version
>> then fall through the cracks and remain in a "Resolved" limbo/ambiguity:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%
>> 3D%20LUCENE%20AND%20status%20in%20(Resolved)%20AND%
>> 20fixVersion%20%3D%206.x%20ORDER%20BY%20fixVersion%
>> 20ASC%2C%20assignee%20ASC
>> And thus it's unclear to users browsing these issues in JIRA for which
>> version the issue was released in.
>>
>> ~ David
>>

>> On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 11:16 AM David Smiley <david.w.smi...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> It seems this issue applies to Lucene too, and it's more widespread (79

>>> 3D%20LUCENE%20AND%20status%20in%20(Resolved%2C%20Closed)%