I know we have talked about this a few times, but not sure where we left off.

My understanding was that if we change something in trunk and merge to
3.x we *only* add it to the 3.x CHANGES.  If it is only for 4.x it
gets added to the 4.x CHANGES.  But it looks like we are actually
keeping the two versions in sync.  Is this just extra work?

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but can trunk changes only
track changes in trunk and keep anything before that in the 3.x
branch?

Can we delete everything past line 441 in:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/trunk/lucene/CHANGES.txt
and add a comment saying to look at:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/branches/branch_3x/lucene/CHANGES.txt

When trunk gets moved to branch_4x, the 3.x changes would get copied
over (and presumably not changed anymore)

thoughts?
ryan