Hi,

currently we have the following problem:

*       The first Java 9 release candidate came out. This one now uses the
final version format. The string returned by ${java.version} is now plain
simple “9” – bummer for one single 3rd party library!
*       This breaks one of the most basic Hadoop classes, so anything in Solr
that refers somehow to Hadoop breaks. Of course this is HDFS - but also
authentication! We should support Java 9, so we should really fix this ASAP!

>From now on all tests running with Java 9 fail on Jenkins until we fix the
>following:

*       Get an Update from Hadoop Guys (2.7.4), with just the stupid check
removed (the completely useless version checking code snipped already makes its
round through twitter): https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-14586
*       Or we update at least master/7.0 to latest Hadoop version, which has
the bug already fixed. Unfortunately this does not work, as there is a bug in
the Hadoop MiniDFSCluster that hangs on test shutdown. I have no idea how to
fix. See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-10951

I’d prefer to fix https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-10951 for master
before release, so I set it as blocker. I am hoping for hely by Mark Miller. If
the hadoop people have a simple bugfix release for the earlier version, we may
also be able to fix branch_6x and branch_6_6 (but I disabled them on Jenkins
anyways).

Uwe

-----

Uwe Schindler