: I think my confusion stems from the smoke checker allowing ant 1.8 OR 1.9,
: then.
:
https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/blob/master/dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py#L193

That seems bad to me - the explicit check for the minimum version of ant
(used to make the jars) is suppose to be deliberate (as Uwe pointed out)

Mike: do you remember why you made this change????

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=lucene-solr.git;a=commitdiff;h=6dfe73d5fe28dd53f251040df4514fd9c84f3ab6

: Unless there's another place where the build fails with 1.9 that I didn't
: see?
:
: The release wiki does explicitly mention ant 1.8.x, so there is some
: mention of the requirement, but it also reads like it might be an old
: requirement that was never updated.
: https://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/ReleaseTodo
: