GitHub user chrisvest opened a pull request:

    https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/pull/236

    Branch 5x small optimisations

    In a test with a high concurrency, high write workload on the
NRTCachingDirectory, these changes gives me a ~10-15% throughput improvement.
To get that, I had to increase the buffer size to 4 KiB. I have left it as is,
and just allowed it to be tuned.

    $ git pull https://github.com/chrisvest/lucene-solr branch_5x-neo-opt

    https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/pull/236.patch

    This closes #236

----
commit 019441ae8414df779b86c86967a2a6c474bf8650
Author: Chris Vest <mr.chrisv...@gmail.com>
Date:   2017-08-18T11:11:00Z

    Reduce contention on RAMFile monitor lock

    This monitor lock is quite popular in high concurrency, high write work
loads, because numBuffers() is called quite often.
    This changes the numBuffers() method so it no longer takes the RAMFile
monitor lock, but instead does a volatile read.

commit 20de28c8dda8d9496ccfbd4e9c1bd9c98fca1887
Author: Chris Vest <mr.chrisv...@gmail.com>
Date:   2017-08-18T11:13:28Z

    Make the RAMFile buffer size configurable

    Larger buffers can improve the write throughput of e.g.
NRTCachingDirectories.
    The buffer size can now be changed via the
`org.apache.lucene.store.RAMOutputStream.BUFFER_SIZE` system property.

----

---
with INFRA.
---