I've been thinking about this a little more. Since this is an outlier,
I'm loathe to change the core TMP merge selection process. Say the max
segment size if 5G. You'd be doing an awful lot of I/O to merge a
segment with 4.75G "live" docs with one with 0.25G. Plus that doesn't
really allow users who issue the tempting "optimize" command to
recover; that one huge segment can hang around for a _very_ long time,
accumulating lots of deleted docs. Same with expungeDeletes.

I can think of several approaches:

1> despite my comment above, a flag that says something like "if a
segment has > X% deleted docs, merge it with a smaller segment anyway
respecting the max segment size. I know, I know this will affect
indexing throughput, do it anyway".

2> A special op (or perhaps a flag on expungeDeletes) that would
behave like <1> but on-demand rather than part of standard merging.

In both of these cases, if a segment had > X% deleted docs but the
live doc size for that segment was > the max seg size, rewrite it into
a single new segment removing deleted docs.

3> some way to do the above on a schedule. My notion is something like
a maintenance window at 1:00 AM. You'd still have a live collection,
but (presumably) a way to purge the day's accumulation of deleted
documents during off hours.

4> ???

I probably like <2> best so far, I don't see this condition in the
wild very often it usually occurs during heavy re-indexing operations
and often after an optimize or expungeDeletes has happened. <1> could
get horribly pathological if the threshold was 1% or something.

WDYT?