I would also consider changing the order of the list to highlight the most
interesting features.

If I saw this as the top highlight I would think of this is mainly a
maintenance release.

Indented JSON is now the default response format for all APIs,  pass
wt=json and/or indent=off to use the previous unindented XML format.

Joel Bernstein
http://joelsolr.blogspot.com/

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 11:09 AM, Joel Bernstein <joels...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>>> Cool. How about 7th and 8th bullet points like this. 8th bullet ending
>>> in Java 9 future magic still, not that the magic counts but fitting things
>>> on roughly a screen full for folks to easily get the gist of the new
>>> release is important I think.
>>>
>>> -Christine
>>>
>>> * Solr 7 adds Streaming Expressions, a new statistical programming
>>> syntax for
>>> the statistical analysis of sql queries, random samples, time series and
>>> graph result sets.
>>>
>>> * Solr 7 is tested with and verified to support Java 9
>>>
>>> From: dev@lucene.apache.org At: 09/20/17 15:54:54
>>> To: Christine Poerschke (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON ) <cpoersc...@bloomberg.net>,
>>> dev@lucene.apache.org
>>>
>>> Subject: Re: Release 7.0 process starts
>>>
>>> This looks good, other than the wt=xml correction in #1, as Varun
>>> pointed out. Also, I really think we should highlight streaming expressions
>>> (Math Engine) even if that means we don’t hit the ‘7 points’ mark :).
>>>
>>> -Anshum
>>>

>>> On Sep 20, 2017, at 7:21 AM, Christine Poerschke (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON) <
>>> cpoersc...@bloomberg.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Totally agree with choosing _7_ highlights for the Solr _7_ release!
>>>
>>> Below is the revised draft I came up with:
>>>
>>> (Notice that v2 is the 2nd bullet, though I think it yet needs to
>>> mention one or _two_ benefits of using the new API especially since we
>>> mention that /solr/ continues to work.)
>>>
>>> (Also notice some re-ordering of the bullets starting with the
>>> used-by-many JSON first, then v2 API second, then third collection creation
>>> which mentions faceting and so leads over to the fourth bullet re: facet
>>> refinement. Fifth is the new replica types (that bullet being slightly
>>> longer than the others to explain what the types are about). Sixth is
>>> auto-scaling which mentions future releases (would folks use new replica
>>> types first before moving on to auto-scaling?). Seventh and last then is
>>> Solr _7_ mention with Java _9_ i.e. the just-arrived future again there.)
>>>
>>> Solr 7.0 Release Highlights:
>>>
>>> * Indented JSON is now the default response format for all APIs,
>>> pass wt=json and/or indent=off to use the previous unindented XML format.
>>>
>>> * The new v2 API, exposed at /api/ and also supported via SolrJ, is now
>>> the
>>> preferred API, but /solr/ continues to work.
>>>
>>> * A new `_default` configset is used if no config is specified at
>>> collection
>>> creation. The data-driven functionality of this configset indexes
>>> strings as
>>> analyzed text while at the same time copying to a `*_str` field suitable
>>> for
>>> faceting.
>>>
>>> * The JSON Facet API now supports two-phase facet refinement to ensure
>>> accurate
>>> counts and statistics for facet buckets returned in distributed mode.
>>>
>>> * Replica Types - Solr 7 supports different replica types, which handle
>>> differently. In addition to pure NRT operation where all replicas build