On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 2:15 AM, Steven A Rowe <sar...@syr.edu> wrote:
> +1
>
> I did the following:
>
> - compared the Solr & Lucene binary .zip and .tgz archives' contents for any
> differences (other than line endings)
> - skimmed Changes.html for generation problems
> - looked at random pages from each module's javadocs
> - ran the Lucene demo, indexed and searched
> - ran the Solr example server, indexed and searched
> - eyeballed all modules' Maven artifacts & sanity checked their POMs
> - ran all tests from the Solr & Lucene source tarballs, separately

Thanks Steven, these look like good checks, and I think as much as
possible it would be great if we can add any of these to the
'smokeTestRelease.py' script in dev-tools/scripts (e.g. startup solr,
index the example docs and do a search).

I could also imagine sometime soon we might even want to have this
release-tester testing nightly builds or something, so we catch
problems continuously.

> Two non-release-blocking nits:
>
> 1. In the Solr source tarball, solr/example/README.txt recommends using the
> command "./post.sh *.xml" from solr/example/exampledocs/, but post.sh does
> not have executable permissions.  In the binary tarball, however, post.sh has
> executable permissions.
>
> 2. I checked the source for references to older versions, and I found the
> following; I think these just point to a missing item in the release todo
> (post-branching), and should not block the release:

I took care of these: the deprecations are already nuked in trunk, and
I don't think we achieve a ton by nuking them in a 3.x minor release.
As far as the demo links, these were totally broken links, so i
replaced them with a description of what the thing is doing (seems
more useful)