I was just trying to understand the role of ShardHandler, and tracing back
things to understand when it's called (or not) with respect to updates. I
found myself reading the init() method of HttpSolrCall (because a lot of
logic around request types happens on init() ) and the very first thing in
the method is an if block regarding some sort of alternate path
substitution involving "managementPath"... This is apparently a valid
config item in solr.xml, so trying to figure out if I cared about this or
not I went to find out what it was... there was a confusing comment in
code, and a example of it being set in the file solr-50--all.xml, but that
appears to just test that setting it in the xml causes it to appear in the
config java object.... and then I finally found the documentation for it in
the ref guide:

managementPath

Currently non-operational.

(https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_3/format-of-solr-xml.html)

In other words I just spent 15-20 min tracking down something non-useful
that apparently was originally added in SOLR-695 (which says it was
committed to encourage review, but nobody other  than the author commented
on it thereafter)

This looks a lot like dead, or at least questionable code... perhaps it
should be removed so that folks don't have to spend time figuring out that
it is non-operational any time they read the code?

Or is it operational/useful but undocumented?

-Gus

--
http://www.the111shift.com