There was an issue before (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-5755)
that looked at switching to some other build system. A few were discussed,
but at the time nobody had the time to do the work. I've investigated
migrating to gradle a couple times in the past, but there is so much stuff
in the ant build (and the shadow maven build) that migration becomes a lot
of work to swtich everythin at once. The last time I looked, though, was
about 1.5 years ago. It is something I would like to pick back up, but
still do not have the time to invest personally.