Here's my understanding, which might lack some correctness. Every (since
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-6659) thread allocates RAM
buffer with inverted docs, which correspond next flushing segment, however
it's not yet searchable i.e. I wouldn't say it's "in-memory" segment, but
one appears after NRT flush
http://blog.mikemccandless.com/2011/06/lucenes-near-real-time-search-is-fast.html.
Some more a little bit outdated info is here
https://blog.trifork.com/2011/04/01/gimme-all-resources-you-have-i-can-use-them/
.

--
Sincerely yours