Because the Reference Guide is versioned, we only need to discuss what JDK to
grab that works with e.g. Solr/Lucene 8. But I think your wiki page is great do
as an in-depth guide to JDKs and compatibility. Perhaps it can just live on the
wiki as now, and link to it from the RefGuide?

So on the
https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_7/solr-system-requirements.html
<https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_7/solr-system-requirements.html> page,
right now we just say "You will need the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version
1.8 or higher" and then people to download Oracle Java.

I think instead of linking to only the Oracle paid version, we could say
something like:

If you do not have any opinion or requirements on a particular distribution or
version of Java, we recommend that you install the free, Open Source OpenJDK
version 11 which is the latest LTS (long term support) version. You can
download it from many sources such as AdoptOpenJDK (link), Amazon Corretto
(link), Zulu (link) or Oracle (link). We do not endorse any particular vendor.
Note that each vendor may have different policies for bug- and security fixes,
so choose one you are comfortable with. You may also find that your Operating
System already includes a supported version of the JDK.

There are also commercial paid version of Java. If your organisation has a
policy on what vendor or version or Java to use, make sure to consult that
before deciding.

For a more in-depth discussion of JDK compatibility, known issues etc for
various versions of Lucene/Solr and Java, please see xxxxx.

For security reasons, Java should be kept up to date on minor versions. Never
upgrade Java to a higher major version before first checking and testing that
it is compatible with the version of Solr you have.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com