Hi committers,

As discussed on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-8738, we are
planning to switch master branch to use Java 11 tomorrow. The Apache and
Policeman Jenkins servers are prepared to handle that change, but now it's your
turn:

- Install a JDK 11 (remark: no Oracle JDK is needed, just use OpenJDK, e.g.
from AdoptOpenJDK)
- If you are working on master, you have to use Java 11 also in your IDE (run
ant eclipse, netbeans,...). We tested IDE integrations for the common cases. If
there are bugs, just fix them if you stumble on them.
- If you are also maintaining Jenkins servers, update their configs!
- If your merge/cherry pick changes from master to 8.x, don't forget to run
precommit with Java 8 (!) and adopt needed changes.

We will merge the branch with those changes tomorrow, 2019-04-16 afternoon UTC
time, around 12 pm. As always, some hickups might happen, so ignore failing
Jenkins jobs! I hope it settles by the time.

What's not working:

- The HTML linter based on HTML Tidy was disabled until we found a replacement
(no HTML 5 support - Java 11 produces HTML5 Javadocs). So it might happen that
bad javadocs are not detected in master but after merge to 8.x branch they
might suddenly appear.
- OpenClover code coverage Jenkins Jobs were disabled (no support yet for Java
11)

TODOs:

- Use Java 11 features, e.g. replace many unmodifiable collections with
Map.of/Set.of/List.of constructs
- Cleanup new warnings (we have to do this anyways, as javac is not even happy
in Java 8)

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler