I agree that an easier-to-understand build is an important virtue we should
try to achieve here (for the reasons you mentioned).  Our build is too
complex and non-standard.  Any other benefits are icing on the cake.

RE "side by side"; that could weigh us down maintaining more; I hope this
isn't long term.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley