Hi John, hi committers,

This is great news. As a Lucene committer, I was waiting for this since long
time!

> Please be aware that Jira (https://issues.apache.org/jira) will be
> unavailable for approximately 4 hours beginning August 19, 2019 0500
> UTC for migration to new hardware and upgrades to the Jira Software
> suite of tools including all plugins and the major version of Jira.
> For more details on what is new in Jira 8.x you can look at the
> release notes
>
> https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftware/jira-software-8-0-x-release-
> notes-957981626.html

This version of JIRA also ships with a new version of Apache Lucene instead of
the stone-aged Apache Lucene 3.3.0 integration. Next to speed improvements and
much smaller indexes, the new version also hopefully fixes the scoring issues
when you quicksearch (top-right) for issues - often showing irrelevant results
first. I worked together with Atlassian last year to revamp the Apache Lucene
integration and we used the new Lucene features like index-joins to improve
scoring, and numeric/point field types for date searches and usage of DocValues
for sorting. Also complex permission schemes are now much faster due to
denormalization 😊. FYI, Lucene in JIRA is now on 7.3.1.

Here is the talk:
https://archive.fosdem.org/2019/schedule/event/lucene_upgrade_jira_8/

@John: Please keep in mind that the upgrade to JIRA 8 requires a full
reindexing of all issues. Although it's faster now, it still takes some
significant time, especially if the database is on a different machine. But in
the future, regular reindexing should no longer be needed, as Lucene now uses
checksums and fsyncs on the directory metadata to prevent consistency issues on
power outages or other crashes. Also JIRA no longer "optimizes" (aka
force-merge) indexes, which is not recommended for indexes that have high
update rates. Due to the use of DocValues for sorting, the heap-space
requirements of JIRA lowered quite a lot! Also keep in mind to have at least 50
% of physical RAM available for memory-mapping of indexes, so reduce heap size
accordingly.

You can contact me, if you need some advice on installation!

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
uschind...@apache.org
ASF Member, Apache Lucene PMC / Committer
Bremen, Germany
https://lucene.apache.org/