On 11/7/2019 6:14 PM, Raphael Bircher wrote:
Wich source tree I should build for testing purpose? I heard rumors, that
installing Lucene is a bit rocket science.

I'm here for Solr, and my interest in Lucene is only incidental, because Solr derives most of its functionality from Lucene.

Almost all development work here begins in the master branch, and is backported to other branches as required. We release from the stable branch, which is currently branch_8x. At some point, likely next year, we will create branch_9x and master will be renumbered to major version 10.

Lucene is not really geared for "installation" ... it is a development library. It is used by developers to write their own software, and it will be up to that developer to work out how their software is installed. Lucene is a development dependency, much like this one:

https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/j/

If you want to work on a complete application, you can opt to work on Solr instead of Lucene. Or you can go to project outside the Apache umbrella that happens to use Lucene as a dependency.

Thanks,
Shawn