I don't think the details of how gradle locates (or stores) a particular
dependency matter much. As long as the dependency is resolvable (and the
signature matches the one initially added to the repository) we're fine.

For most things (running tests, sha checks, etc.) the dependency JARs don't
have to be copied to the project (and why should they be). The
only exception is packaging final distribution.

The way we currently handle things in ant/ ivy (copying to lib/ folders
local to the project) is only there because of technological legacy. I
don't think we should stick to it.

Dawid