I think more is needed going forward.

What I would like to see is an explicit "risks" section of the jira that
shows the committer has thought about the different risks to the system
before committing code that effects the core. The committer should take
time to understand what part of the system might be effected. This will do
two things:

1) Force the committer to think more about how there change affects the
rest of the system.
2) Helps other committers understand the risks so that there is more
incentive to get involved and test.

Joel Bernstein
http://joelsolr.blogspot.com/