Hi David,

A Helm chart is a bunch of yaml files that specifies all the necessary
configuration to get an application up and running on Kubernetes which sits on
top of Docker. And Helm is a program that “installs” this chart.

For instance, to run a Solr cluster on Docker, you would need to first launch
zookeeper containers, forward some ports, and then get a working cluster by
launching multiple Solr containers pointing to the zookeepers.

The Helm chart takes away all the fuss by allowing you to launch a full Solr
cluster including everything said above with a single command.

You can find the specific Helm chart for Solr here:
https://github.com/helm/charts/tree/master/incubator/solr

The GitHub repository where this chart’s source code is currently at is managed
by the Helm team and will be marked obsolete in Nov 2020. It means that no more
PR and Issues can be raised for Solr and other charts in that repo.

They want someone to take ownership of the charts, and I think the best place
is for the Solr chart is with the Solr team.

All charts there will also be delisted in May 2020 (very soon) from Helm Hub
https://hub.helm.sh/, the “maven central for Helm charts”.

It’s best a new home can be found for Solr chart soon.

There are other Apache charts in that repo as well such as Hadoop and Zookeeper
and those need to go somewhere as well.

Cheers,
WJ