Hi, all;
   I could have *sworn* I replied... but could find no record in my sent folder
when David dutifully followed up with a ping. *facepalm*

   Yes, I volunteered to participate and help where I can as a member of The
ASF board, VP Fundraising, ComDev participant, or whatever hat I might be able
to bring with me. Of course, I bear no special credentials here... we all hang
out as volunteers. Reviewing the most recent board report[1], I detected:
> We're discussing how to semi-require code reviews by defining project
> guidelines. We invite a board member to help/advice how to navigate this
> balance.
So, yeah, here I am :-) My primary interest is to be sure we're approaching the
discussion with community as our primary lens.

   I definitely reviewed the email thread, replies, and Confluence wiki
document. In my interpretation of the discussion, a few things stood out:
- There were some synchronous discussions that occurred off the list, which can
lead to accidentally excluding important community voices from the
conversation. By bringing the discussion back to the list before attempting to
make a decision, the critical levels of transparency are maintained. This is
definitely A Good Thing.
- I perceived a lot of constructive feedback on the initial draft which appears
(to me) to have brought the draft much closer to a document that represents
consensus. Said another way, I don't detect conflict per se (please correct me
if I'm wrong)
- I think the feedback (and subsequent incorporation of that feedback into the
guidelines) about exception cases like doc fixes and "small" changes is
brilliant. On the httpd project, as a parallel example, we have a RTC policy
for release branches except for docs - which are CTR. Indeed, a "docs
committer" is the same as an "httpd committer"... we don't separate privileges
because this social contract has worked well for 2 decades.
- The current content of the document seems reasonable given the current
environment. One thing that is unclear to me based on a quick browsing of the
docs is what the branching strategy is for the project. What I gather is that
the master branch is the release branch and features are added to master or
merged in from short-lived feature branches. It'd be helpful to clarify this.
- The proposed document draws additional parallels to things that work for
httpd. Often times, we will share patches to the list for feedback before
commits (similar to the Jira tickets proposed). We also operate trunk as CTR,
but require 3 +1 backport votes to the long-lived release branches. This
proposal has a similar net effect: bits that get released are (generally)
intended to be "actively" reviewed before commit. It does fall short of
requiring a consensus-style vote for release branches as httpd does... but
that's OK.

All told, this proposal seems quite reasonable to me because it has been
discussed by the community, feedback has been incorporated, and the content of
the proposal seems totally doable. That said, I'm open to other inquiries if
there's something an external perspective can provide. How can I help?

[1] https://whimsy.apache.org/board/minutes/Lucene.html

P.S.
Nabble, mbox, etc... they're OK, but have you tried Ponymail?
https://lists.apache.org/x/thread.html/770ef83a8ed3a3d5d161c4a2cd812b4bdde47464d439c09ec31164dd@%3Cdev.lucene.apache.org%3E
I'm a convert, for sure!
--
Daniel Ruggeri
Director, VP Fundraising, member, httpd PMC