I don't have a direct answer for you, but your message causes me to reflect
on how Lucene does *not* give users choice of format on a per-type basis
(e.g. BinaryDocValues vs NumericDocValues vs etc.), which is annoying.
Ideally the previous simple format would be available for you to choose,
but it is not.  Lucene lets you mix & match PostingsFormats, stored fields
formats, term vectors formats, points format.  But when it comes to
DocValues, it's an all-encompassing format for five different structures.
So you take it or leave it; all or nothing.  My colleague filed
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-9236 on this matter; feel free
to comment there with your opinion if you have one.

~ David