Ilan:

Please raise a new JIRA and attach any fixes there, a Git PR or patch whichever
you prefer. Your analysis will get lost in the noise for SOLR-12801. And thanks
for digging! We usually title them something like “harden MultiThreadedOCPTest”
or “fix failing MultiThreadedOCPTest” or similar.

I haven’t really looked at the code you’re analyzing, it’s the weekend after
all ;). So ignore this question if it makes no sense. Anyway, I’m always
suspicious of using delays for just this kind of reason; depending on the
hardware something may fail sometimes. Is there any way to make the sequencing
more of a positive lock? Unfortunately that can be tricky, I’ve wound up doing
things like serializing all tasks which…er…isn’t a good fix ;). But it sounds
like your “overkill” section is along those lines?

Up to you.

Meanwhile, I’ve started beasting that test on my spare machine. If you’re
curious about what that is:
https://gist.github.com/markrmiller/dbdb792216dc98b018ad

But don’t worry about that part. The point is I can run the test multiple
times, with N running in parallel, hopefully making my machine exhibit the
problem sometime over the night. If I can get it to fail before but not after
your fix, it provides some reassurance that your fix is working. Not totally
certain of course. Otherwise, we’ll just commit your fixes and see if Hoss’
rollups stop showing it.

Thanks again!
Erick