I don't know about what Gradle offers other than observing what Erick
shares, but I like to think that we can get rid of not only the Ant build
but the Maven build too.  If there are obstacles, I'd prefer to figure them
out rather than settle for the complexity (and thus maintenance costs) of
an entire parallel build.

I wondered if perhaps this protobuf dependency is something we don't need
-- it seems to be an optional dependency of Calcite.  Disclaimer: I looked
very quickly; didn't fully verify.  So I did a little removing of it and
then found the same HTTP problem but for a different dependency now --
Dropwizard metrics-bom which is definitely something we depend on.

I was unable to work around this bug of the Maven Ant Task but didn't spend
much time on it.  I was looking for the source and had trouble finding it,
then realized this thing is like 6 years old and has been superseded by the
"Maven Artifact Resolver Ant Task":
https://maven.apache.org/resolver-ant-tasks/.  It looks similar to the old
one.

~ David