On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 10:42 AM Alexandre Rafalovitch <arafa...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I feel that maybe we don't treat it special mentally, but then it
> actually is. At least with minimum custom locations configured.
>
> Consider:
> 1) What is in "server", above "server/solr"
> * resources/log4j2.xml (because of magic jetty classpath mechanism)
> * logs
> * NOT server/solr/configsets (but probably should be to avoid
> confusion with recursive core searching algorithm or just people
> trying to understand what those directories are)

Correct; configsets is in solr.home

> 2) What is in "example/schemaless"
> * logs (because of hardcoded magic in bin/solr)
> * NOT log4j2.xml, because we simplified it but also lost an ability to
> customize

3) What is in "example/cloud/node1"
> * logs (same magic)
>
> From other discussions, if you try to reproduce examples outside of
> the example directory, they will log to the global log directory and
> mess with each other, unless you pass on an individual log directory
> location for each bin/solr command.

> I am wondering if the example above solr.home should be the place we
> try to check for:
> 1) logging configuration (or override that latest log4 seems to support)
> 2) logs
> 3) configsets available to that node

4) maybe solr.in.sh

Starting more than one Solr node on a machine is rather unusual, but it
shows up in certain examples, and on a local dev machine, but I don't think
"the real world" (prod).  I think it would help a bit if logs were under
solr.home.  It's rare to touch logging config, but it'd be interesting to
allow a log4j2.xml in solr.home to take precedence.  configsets dir is
already in solr.home.  Again, it'd be interesting for a solr.in.sh in
solr.home to take precedence if it is defined.  All this would help make a
solr.home a complete place for a Solr node if you want to isolate it from
other nodes -- be it for "example"/tutorial reasons, or for keeping
multiple side-projects together.  In addition to all this, I really wish
the default cores dir was not solr.home itself but one directory beneath.

> This would certainly make example setups easy and less magical.

Yes; that'd be nice.

> I don't know if this is the right answer. I specifically don't know if
> this will mess up cloud setups.

SolrCloud isn't special with regards to this discussion (I think).

> But I see a pattern that is
> unacknowledged and think that maybe acknowledging would allow us to
> have a more general solution that magic in bin/solr. And maybe just in
> time for the Solr in Docker final decisions.

Yeah; I hope you like my suggestions above.