From: Mark Harwood <markharw...@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2020 11:04 AM
To: dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: QueryParser - proposed change may break existing queries.

In Lucene-9445 we'd like to add a case insensitive option to regex queries in
the query parser of the form:

   /Foo/i

However, today people can search for :

   /foo.com/index.html <http://foo.com/index.html>

and not get an error. The searcher may think this is a query for a URL but it's
actually parsed as a regex "foo.com <http://foo.com> " ORed with a term query.

I'd like to draw attention to this proposed change in behaviour because I think
it could affect many existing systems. Arguably it may be a positive in drawing
attention to a number of existing silent failures (unescaped searches for urls
or file paths) but equally could be seen as a negative breaking change by some.

What is our BWC policy for changes to query parser?

Do the benefits of the proposed new regex feature outweigh the costs of the
breakages in your view?

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-9445?focusedCommentId=17196793
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-9445?focusedCommentId=17196793&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-17196793>

&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-17196793