In fact I was shocked at the cavalier attitude with which backward
compatibility is broken. If we are going to make a backward
incompatible change

There should be a JIRA with the proper discussions

* What is the change?
* Why is the change important?
* What is the strategy for someone who does a rolling upgrade?
* Is it possible to avoid it?
* Can the change be done in a backward compatible way so that the
users are not inconvenienced