> I think the Solr 4 alpha/beta situation was different -- it was not some
fork a committer was maintaining; it was the master branch of its time, and
it was destined to be the very next release, not some possible future
release.

Agree, 4’s alpha/beta was a very different situation.

> I believe it has to be an official release to have enough credibility.
People trust the Apache brand and the community. This will ensure that we
get enough people to test this out. The very objective of this release is
to get help from our users to uncover any bugs. Most big shops will not
deploy unofficial releases in their prod/staging environments. We wish to
tick all the boxes for our users

I think this is fooling ourselves/our users. They trust Apache releases
because we take them seriously, because they have the community behind,
etc. This is a release from a feature branch, so we have to be cautious and
very upfront. While I hope many go and test it and maybe deploy it to some
of their environments, I feel we need to be careful not to send the wrong
message.

> I'm -0 on doing an official release for alpha software because it's
unnecessary to achieve the goals and somewhat confusing

I’d say I’m -1 to make it an official release for those reasons.

I think we should try to merge into master (whenever you are comfortable?
Does it need to wait until 9.0 is out? What's the main reason for that? can
we split the parts that do need to wait vs the ones that don’t?) and then
people can be encouraged to run a nightly version in their test
environments to help debug possible instability. If we need to do
alpha/beta versions from master then I think that would make more sense.