+100

IMHO the three greatest evils of git workflow, to be avoided at all cost, are:

* pulling without rebasing, as you explained (and then pushing the resulting
spaghetti to the repo). Who cares that you made 10 interim local commits and 10
reverts, and you merged from trunk a dozen times on the way before finally
pushing your changes? Nobody is interested in this and in the resulting eyesore.

* ditto, merging feature branches with the main branches without squashing (and
then pushing the resulting spaghetti to the repo)

* and the greatest of all evils, a forced push, which should NEVER be used on a
public repo. IIRC it’s disabled on lucene-solr repo? I hope it still is, and it
needs to be disabled once the Solr repo is separated. Forced push forcibly
rewrites the history in a public repo and may lead to bizarre conflicts and
lost local work (not to mention the revisionist aspects).

—

Andrzej Białecki