> Personally I would ban the non block conditional, but I think it's moot in
> this context since spotless just does what it does and is not configurable,
> as I understand it. I suppose we could manually "fix" all the conditionals
> though?

I'm pretty sure you could do it automatically... But in many places
there is very little sense in doing that. That google format
convention [1] is fairly reasonable to me - strict in certain aspects
and relaxed elsewhere. I wouldn't enforce it. If you find a place that
could use more clarity with braces, correct it (and re-run the
formatting) then commit it back in.

Dawid

https://google.github.io/styleguide/javaguide.html