The problem with a single repository is that it will/may conflict at times.
Also, I still don't see the problem with having the extra repo as long as
we aren't releasing anything.

The problem with (b) is that you can't create a PR from a random repository
to a repo it isn't a fork of. I also don't think people should own code and
build outside of the ASF umbrella until things are ready to be released,
it's completely against the Apache Way. Having the code in the ASF umbrella
comes at no cost to the project. If at any point it needs to be dropped,
it's easier and cleaner as it wouldn't touch anything else.

Does this make sense?

--
Anshum Gupta