Sorry, I just don't understand the implications of what you are suggesting.

The code in question is lucene+solr combined, and the build system and
packaging and everything only knows how to do that. So are you forking
all the lucene code into the solr repo too?

I don't really understand your need to have a branch_8x. we can nuke
it, and you can do any of this from a branch_8_11 some other day, no?