I stopped the gradle daemon (./gradlew --stop) and deleted the
gradle.properties. I'm still getting the same error though. My new
gradle.properties has the following:

org.gradle.jvmargs=-Xmx3g \

 --add-exports jdk.compiler/com.sun.tools.javac.api=ALL-UNNAMED \

 --add-exports jdk.compiler/com.sun.tools.javac.file=ALL-UNNAMED \

 --add-exports jdk.compiler/com.sun.tools.javac.parser=ALL-UNNAMED \

 --add-exports jdk.compiler/com.sun.tools.javac.tree=ALL-UNNAMED \

 --add-exports jdk.compiler/com.sun.tools.javac.util=ALL-UNNAMED

Joel Bernstein
http://joelsolr.blogspot.com/