I agree with the idea that we shouldn't have 2 active trackers, but I think
that the apache jira must remain readable forever. People will have
bookmarked or linked issues in documents, blog posts or web pages and
breaking those links would be a HUGE disservice to the community. Ideally
we would set Jira to not accept new issues and lock out comments on closed
issues. New issues would then appear in github. If we were able to migrate
a locked, read only copy of closed jira's into github (and include a link
back to the original) that might be of some help to users so they can work
in github and ignore Jira, but we should not allow further discussion in
github of something discussed in Jira. Really bad to have someone look at
an issue, think they have the full picture and be missing 1/3 of the
discussion.

So principles I'd like to advocate are:
1) Don't break links to Jiras
2) Single source of truth for any individual issue.
3) Optionally for user convenience reflect the source of truth for old
issues in github as read only, with a back reference.

--
http://www.needhamsoftware.com (work)
http://www.the111shift.com (play)