I'd ask anyone voting +1 to raise this limit to at least try to index
a few million vectors with 756 or 1024, which is allowed today.

IMO based on how painful it is, it seems the limit is already too
high, I realize that will sound controversial but please at least try
it out!

voting +1 without at least doing this is really the
"weak/unscientifically minded" approach.