Thinking about it, I should make myself more clear regarding why I
brought up IKVM again, just so no one gets the wrong idea about my
intentions there...

I only mentioned it as a justification for dropping line-by-line
compatibility and as an alternative for people who really care about
that. As we discussed previously, IKVMed Lucene is not Lucene.Net in a
lot of important material ways. We are already deviating significantly
from Java Lucene even with the "mostly line by line" approach. Compare
Lucene.Net 2.9.4 and IKVMed Java Lucene 2.9.4. They are very different
user experiences on a lot of levels (licensing, packaging, data types
used, etc).

But it's a *reasonable alternative* when a high-degree of consistency
with Java Lucene is important to the end user and by pointing to IKVM
as our answer to those users, we are free to move forward without that
concern.

That means, supposing we move away from Java significantly, as a new
end user looking to employ Lucene in their .NET product, they can
choose between IKVM Lucene (identical API to Java, can use the latest
Java build, performs well, may have some problems with licensing and
packaging) and Lucene.Net (different API but hopefully one that is
more palatable to .NET users so it'd be easy to learn, perfoms better
than IKVM, but has a dev cycle that lags behind Java, possibly by a
lot).

Existing users who like who Lucene.Net as it is now, may feel
alienated because they would be forced to choose between learning the
new API and dealing with a slow dev cycle, or adapting to IKVM which
could be very difficult or impossible for them. Either one would
require a code change. But of course, we run this risk with any change
we make to what we are doing. I think a greater risk is that the
project lacks direction.

Anyway, it's just one idea/talking point towards the end goal of
getting the general topic off the table completely.

Thanks,
Troy