Hi,

here's my first suggestion for the Refactoring steps:

By now is the IW-class very big and i would try to reduce the code,
by delegate special functions to the new components (Pattern: SRP).
So keeps the IndexWriter most of his APIs and delegates "only".

I would try to extract the internals from the following methods into new
components;
for example, it could look like this;

   - addDocument: component SegementWriter
   - addIndexes:  component IndexbasedWriter

What you think? Other ideas / suggestions / tips?
Should I have to send the mail to the lucene mailing list?

Thx for the feedback
Tim