> Could you do it with reflection?

not easily :)

Perhaps we could have a separate source tree that has different
dependencies, but it gets pushed into the same .jar -- this would keep
people from accidentally using log4j directly.

Or we could just support JUL and I could put the Log4J version on
github or something.

I have found it very useful to be able to see the last few log
messages from various machines without needing ssh access.