On 30/05/2012 17:09, Robert Muir (JIRA) wrote:
I'm not sure this is true: e.g. if your postings format requires parameters to
decode the segment, then this enforces that it records said parameters,
e.g. Pulsing records these parameters.

Codec parameters are at index-time, at read-time its your responsibility to be
able to decode them solely from the index (this enforces that there doesnt need
to be a crazy matching of user configuration at write and read time).

I think what Mark is missing (and I saw as a limiting factor in developing other codecs) is to make it easier to customize Codec-s based on composition of reusable blocks, without necessarily needing a separate Codec class implementation.

This could be worked around by having a "configurable codec" that stores its configuration and instantiates necessary reusable blocks, available using the SPI mechanism. On writing you could specify this configuration as Codec attributes, and they could be written out e.g. to SegmentInfos, and on read they would become available from SegmentInfos.attributes.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><