On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 2:51 PM, Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I suppose it depends. If people think we are on track for a 4.1 soon,
> perhaps we should skip 4.0.1 and just do a fairly fast 4.1.
>
> I think people would have to feel comfortable about some of the 4.1
> changes - that nothing is that invasive. Otherwise it would probably
> be nice to do a bug fix only 4.0.1 for the cautious out there.
>
> Honestly, I could go either way.
>
> Any opinions?

Personally I think a lucene 4.0.1 would be strange: on the other hand
4.1 is already looking very exciting.

Just the fact we have a more efficient postings list format is really
a huge change for lucene, as developers it might not seem that way
since its "just another codec" but for users this is really a big deal
and hasn't been done before. I think thats a big enough feature to
justify a 4.1 release soonish (e.g. a month) myself.

Not sure a 4.0.1 would come any faster: if there was a plan for such a
thing I would want to backport all the bugfixes and so on from 4.1
where they are already safely integrated and baked... I think we
should just plan on releasing more often. We should avoid massive
massive releases like 4.0 in the future, there is just no need for
that.