Hi There,

We have a 2 instance/1 shards setup running Solr 4 (4.0.0.2012.10.06.03.04.33).
Each instance running on each on server, running a separate ZooKeeper on one of
these machines.

We had a bad experience that originated from a network error:

>From the log:
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Connection reset by peer
at sun.nio.ch.FileDispatcher.read0(Native Method)
at sun.nio.ch.SocketDispatcher.read(SocketDispatcher.java:39)
at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.readIntoNativeBuffer(IOUtil.java:251)
at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.read(IOUtil.java:218)
at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.read(SocketChannelImpl.java:254)
at org.mortbay.io.nio.ChannelEndPoint.fill(ChannelEndPoint.java:131)

Solr tries to do a commit, and then we see this in the log - as something is
wrong and it tries to recover:

Dec 8, 2012 2:36:33 AM org.apache.solr.common.cloud.ZkStateReader$2 process
INFO: A cluster state change has occurred - updating...
Dec 8, 2012 2:36:34 AM org.apache.solr.cloud.RecoveryStrategy run
INFO: Starting recovery process.  core=default1_English
recoveringAfterStartup=true

It seems like it have problems getting in contact with ZooKeeper due to the
network problems.

INFO: Unable to reconnect to ZooKeeper service, session 0x13b6666d0ed00d4 has
expired, closing socket connection

Problem is: The solr established itselves with around 30% of the documents that
was in the other index. I would have liked it to withdraw from the cluster and
leave all handling of queries to the other server.
When network worked again the solr instances still stayed like this having the
full index on one server and 30% on the other. This resulted in "funny" results
from queries - sometimes corrects sometimes not.

med venlig hilsen/best regards

Roland Villemoes
Tel: (+45) 22 69 59 62
E-Mail: mailto:r...@alpha-solutions.dk

Alpha Solutions A/S
Sølvgade 10, 1.sal, 1307 København K
Tel: (+45) 70 20 65 38
Web: http://www.alpha-solutions.dk<http://www.alpha-solutions.dk/>

** This message including any attachments may contain confidential and/or
privileged information intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient you should delete this
message. Any printing, copying, distribution or other use of this message is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify
the sender immediately by telephone, or e-mail and delete all copies of this
message and any attachments from your system. Thank you.