: questions still apply: since Tika apparently cares deeply about
: content-type now, what content-type can I supply through SolrJ to tell
: it 'please discover the document type on your own'?  And how do I do
: that through SolrJ?

SolrJ sets the Content-Type header based on what is returned by he
"getContentType()" of the ContentStream -- the default behavior is
"application/octet-stream" if getContentType() returns null.

: (1) Does the getContentType() method actually even get used on Solrj?
: When I looked at wire logging, it seemed that Solrj just posts a generic
: "application/xml; charset=UTF-8" content type, and does not transmit
: anything else.  It uses standard POST, not multipart/form POST, also.

Even in the case of a single ContentStream (so no multi-part) it still
uses ContentStream.getContentType() ... can you provide a test case (or
quick and dirty sample code) that demonstrates what you are seeing with
"application/xml; charset=UTF-8" getting sent over the wire even though
you explicitly provide a diff content-type in the ContentStream?

-Hoss