On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 11:56 AM, Michael McCandless
<luc...@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 11:07 AM, Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidworks.com> wrote:
>
>> IMO, patches should normally be aimed at trunk and backported.
>> "svn merge" tends to make a mess of the target (mergeproperties
>> updated so you can't tell at a glance what files a patch actually
>> changed), and in general we've tried to keep trunk clean by merging
>> from trunk instead of to trunk.
>
> Is this really true anymore, with latest svn clients (1.7.x)?
>
> I had always assumed devs are free to merge in either direction ...
> whatever their preference is.

As far as I can tell it's fine from SVN's standpoint to merge 4.x ->
trunk, at least using SVN 1.7.

I just merged a few changes in that direction and I see no difference
in the number of svn props changed, vs when I commit first to trunk
and then merge to 4.x.

So I think net/net we are free to work in whatever direction we
prefer.  We shouldn't let our source control tools dictate our dev.

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com