: I still don't see why you'd get different timings between Eclipse and
: Ant if you're running with the same VM -- it should be pretty
: consistent (either it caches dns lookups or it doesn't).

Maybe Eclipse mucks with networkaddress.cache.ttl &
networkaddress.cache.negative.ttl ?

If you want to experiment, a really trivial test is below -- on my system,
there is a ~5 second gap between each pair of "INIT" and "H1" timestamps,
but no other odd gaps in subsequent timestamps -- suggesting no caching of
DNS per hostname, but that the URL class doesn't "re-lookup" on subsequent
hashCode() calls.

-Hoss