Hi Cassandra,

On Sep 26, 2013, at 9:15 AM, Cassandra Targett <casstarg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'll only address a couple of your specific issues inline. We can
> split the rest of the list if you'd like, but I think a lot of them
> are on the same page in the wiki (although multiple pages in the PDF)
> - let me know.

I'll try to do them all myself, but if it looks like it's going to take more
than one day, I'll ask for help.

> On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 7:29 AM, Steve Rowe <sar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 0. All examples in the exported PDF have an extra blank line at the top.  I
>> was able to eliminate these from this page
>> <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=32604227>
>> ("What is an analyzer?") by eliminating the newline between the initial
>> {code …} line and the first line of the examples.  This doesn't have any
>> apparent effect on the layout of the page on the wiki, but the PDF export of
>> that page no longer has the extra blank lines.  Any objections to switching
>> all {code} examples in the guide like this?
>
> CT: is it that horrible? There are dozens and dozens of code examples,
> and it will take a while for someone to fix all of them. Since I edit
> in wiki markup mode, I've always found it easier to add the line break
> so my eyes can find the samples faster. That said, ease of use for
> users is more important than my convenience, so if you think it's
> badly distracting, then it's worth trying to fix it.

For me it's somewhere between annoying and badly distracting, but this will of
course depend on the viewer.

> An alternative might be to try to change the CSS that produces the
> code examples - the problem is that the default styling for the PDF
> includes some padding, and then puts in the newline. Fiddling with the
> CSS is painful though - we can't see the interim HTML and it's
> essentially trial & error over & over.

I'll take a look at the CSS - this is the one, right?:
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/spaces/flyingpdf/viewpdfstyleconfig.action?key=solr>

About the interim HTML, I found this description of how to get it:
<https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONF35/Exporting+Confluence+Pages+and+Spaces+to+HTML>.

>> 1. Pg 2: The section links from the TOC all take you to the previous page,
>> rather than to the top of the page where the section starts.  (Same behavior
>> on OS X Preview, and under Windows, on Firefox's built-in PDF viewer and on
>> Adobe Reader.)  This looks like a general problem - see e.g. #34.
>
> CT: This is essentially a known problem (see my comment:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-4886?focusedCommentId=13703660#comment-13703660,
> last bullet point). The way the PDF is created is that Confluence
> creates the entire document in an HTML page, which include bookmark
> tags right before the different heading levels. When the PDF is then
> generated, a rule is applied to insert a page-break before all h2
> headings. That leaves the bookmark orphaned on the previous page. I
> have never found a solution to this problem - you can't edit the HTML
> and you don't have any control over where the bookmark tags in the
> HTML are put before the HTML is converted to PDF. The only solution is
> to never have page breaks, which I think severely diminishes
> readability.

Thanks for the explanation. I agree about page breaks being more important than
off-by-one-page link targets.  I wonder if there is some CSS trick to put the
page break before the target <a> instead of the <h2> section.

>> 2. Pg 68: Stray asterisks in the <analyzer> tags in the <fieldType> example
>> under "Analysis Phases", apparently to make the surrounded text bold (which
>> also didn't happen).
>
> CT: BTW, it never will - code examples are rendered verbatim, without
> any of the styling normally applied.

Hmm, so there's no way to apply any formatting at all?  That's too bad.

>> 43. Pg 106: Langauge-Specific Factories: Catalan, Danish, Irish and Romanian
>> are missing from the covered languages; Catalan and Irish should include
>> ElisionFilterFactory in their examples - there are articles lists in
>> Lucene's {Catalan,Irish}Analyzer.
>
> CT: A general note about the languages and examples - there used to be
> examples that were incorrect so were removed so that might account for
> some of the gaps. There's an open issue you'll want to look at before
> diving in: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-5031.

Thanks for the pointer.

Steve