On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 7:49 AM, Nick Wellnhofer <wellnho...@aevum.de> wrote:
> On 08/10/2016 16:49, nwellnhof wrote:
>>     Convert 'errno' values using
>>     custom messages for all 'errno' macros from current Linux and Darwin
>>     kernels.
> Ultimately, I'd like see to Lucy's Windows I/O code move to the windows.h
> API for all operations which would allow us to use strerror_l on POSIX
> systems. Also see LUCY-252:
>     https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCY-252

Sounds like a plan.  System i/o is abstracted via FileHandle, DirHandle,
Folder etc.  In the early days, we wrapped plain old C stdio.h and POSIX file
descriptors.  When we moved to `mmap` on Unixen, we had to access more
sophisticated system-specific functionality including `MapViewOfFile`.
Continuing to move towards more system-specific internal implementations in
order to better support the abstracted i/o interface makes sense.

Marvin Humphrey